Mr. Wonderful

Today was "peer review" day, so I shared my plans for my film opening with some of my other classmates. I got a lot of feedback, including some good ideas and some, well, not so good ones. To protect the identities of my fellow students, I'll be referring to them by names from the ABC show "Shark Tank". After all, that's what it felt like today. I was pitching my ideas to them, and they were certainly biting.

My classmates.


When I pitched the story of my film opening, I was met with nothing but positive responses. As quoted by Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, "Oh my God, that's so good." It felt really good to get this reassurance that yes, this idea is going to work. Then, some of my classmates had suggestions that I could implement within my project. Kevin O'Leary said that, instead of having the final pages be blank, I should have a wanted poster for Molly. While I am thankful to Mr. Wonderful for his suggestion, I actually hate this idea. By sticking a wanted poster into the scrapbook, I'm force feeding my story to the audience. I have enough confidence in myself as a storyteller that I think I won't have to be this obvious. I don't want to hit them over the head with the plot; I want them to come to their own realization about what happened to Molly. So sorry, Mr. Wonderful. I'm out.


In reality, Mr. Wonderful was a seventeen year old girl.

However, this idea did make it clear to me how important it is that I convey my plot correctly. I need to make sure that the kidnapping is apparent to the audience, even if I don't want to directly reveal it to them. This'll be something to think about in the coming weeks, as I get ready to film my project.

Comments

Popular Posts