Falling Down


Part of my vision for this project included the music. In order to set the tone, I want to include some melodic child’s tune that soothes the audience, yet also reveals that everything may not be what it seems. I knew that I wouldn’t have to worry too much about copyright, as almost every nursery rhyme type song is public domain.

The first song I thought of was Baa Baa Black Sheep. However, I found that the instrumental version of that song was just a little bit too upbeat. Then, I thought of ABC’s. Apparently, ABC’s and Baa Baa Black Sheep share the same melody! Who would have thought! But then, I got the perfect song: London Bridge is Falling Down. The reason this song is so perfect is that; while it is upbeat, it has a darker meaning to it. After all, the song describes a massive tragedy that killed hundreds. So, it fit perfectly with the “things aren’t as they seem” mood that I wanted to portray.

Image result for london bridge

However, I still thought that there was something off with the song. It was almost perfect, but not quite. It just didn’t seem dark enough. So, I went into an audio editing software and lowered the pitch by a key. Once I did this, the song was perfect. It was just happy enough to mislead the audience, yet just unsettling enough to clue them in that something was wrong. The music was complete.

Comments

Popular Posts