Timing


From the get go, my biggest worry with regards to this idea was the timing. If I was going to use the scrapbook as a medium to present the credits, how long should it be? How much time should each picture be on screen, and how long should I show each name for the producers/director/writers? To figure this delicate balance out, I watched several different opening credits scenes. I found that the average amount of time spent per name was about 5 seconds. Of course, I also have to consider that my audience won’t just be looking at the names. They’ll also be looking at the pictures of Molly and Mom, which introduce the main characters and set up the plot. Therefore, I will also have to include enough time for my audience to absorb that. I still think that I’m going to need something more. Because of this, I added an opening section to the teaser in which the mom grabs the scrapbook from the shelf. I think that this opening moment, if done correctly, could immediately provide an eerie atmosphere to the film. I’m thinking of a slow zoom into a bookshelf and onto the scrapbook. Then, I’ll have a quick cut to a hand pulling out the scrapbook, and then the opening credits will begin. This plan still isn’t perfect, but I think I can do it right.

Comments

Popular Posts